Full course description
Welcome to the Menu Modifications course.
The purpose of this course is to help identify when menu modifications must be made, to know the difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance and when a medical statement is needed. We will also cover reading food labels to identify food allergens and prevention of cross contact.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify what must be accommodated and describe how to make modification
- Distinguish between food allergy and food intolerance
- Determine when medical statement documentation is required and when it is not
- Identify the eight major allergens
- Demonstrate how to find the eight major allergens in the ingredient statement on the food label
- Describe how to find allergens in the ingredient statement on the food label that are not among the big eight, are in bulk items, or are in USDA Foods
- Describe the procedures for reading ingredient statements
- Identify what is the difference between cross-contact and cross-contamination
- Describe how cross-contact may occur
- Identify strategies for preventing cross-contact