Full course description
The purpose of this course is to explain the utilization of organizational skills and strategies including time management, time and temperature, and basic cooking techniques to streamline meal preparation and maintain food quality.
After completion of this course, the participants will be able to:
- Apply organizational strategies and techniques to expedite food preparation in the school nutrition kitchen.
- Explain how cooking time and temperature and selecting the appropriate preparation method affect food quality.
- Identify how holding food for extended periods of time affects food quality.
- Determine which menu items to batch cook.
- Explain basic steaming methods used in school meal production.
- Describe basic baking applications utilized for preparing quick breads and yeast breads.
- Explain the proofing process and apply correct techniques to ensure consistent results with bread products.
- Define and apply basic roasting techniques.
- Define and apply basic sautéing techniques.